19 replies to this topic

#1 ctspencer

ctspencer

Patron/05/07/08/2009 Contributor

• Patron/2009 Contributor
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, sailing, woodworking

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:48 PM

I am from Charlotte, NC and I have spent the last week reading through all your postings, someone earlier called it lurking. Not sure I like that word....sounds like peeping... (but I really did keep one eye closed). Any way, I really like this place! All of you are friendly, helpful, and seem to enjoy what your doing. Now for my questions:

I have never done anything like this. I can draw stick men.... with help... but I am pretty confident with computers and software. I am new enough to admit I am not certain about what type of work I want to do but I would like to get started and try a variety of things and along the way hopefully find my niche. I do have a special affinity for angels and Mermaids.... I know... sounds like maybe my medication needs refilling.... but ........ I am much better now!

I started off a few months ago by looking at the SCM system. I have figured out, by reading your posts not skimp on equipment if possible. So..... what do you folks suggest as an equipment list to start with? Brand names, price ranges, mistakes in equipment to watch out for... Just reading your posts.. wow... sounds like your speaking another language; Pots, nozzles, plotters, cabinet, compressors, cutters, huh?? Is this sandcarving or are you guys building furniture in your kitchen??

I realize I am asking for a lot. I will make it up to you by feeding you freshly made Krispey Kreme donuts and milk anytime you come through the Charlotte area! :thank you:

#2 wintersedge

wintersedge

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, fusing, martial arts, paintball, laser tag, woodworking, origami

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

I would most definately suggest building a cabinet. See if you can find someone who has a cabinet and try it out. Check out www.glastar.com and read some, check out www.thesandwitch.com, www.etchmasters.com, www.rayzist.com, www.tptools.com. They all offer tools, equipment...

I am somewhat jaded after my experience with Glastar... I believe it is over priced and it is just their label on Skat Blast equipment that you can buy from TP Tools. You can read my rant on their cabinet(not very happy)... Someone also posted about Trinco.com. From the looks, I wish I had found them long ago. Their equipment looks top notch. As far as compressors go, buy the largest you can afford.
What if Truth was not compromised...
Winter's Edge

#3 Sherri S

Sherri S

advanced members II

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Watching Sprint & Nascar Racing, Pro Football, & Learning New Trades.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

laugh.gif Welcome from Ohio!
I don't have a clue about carving or blasting either...I have a cutter & do vinyl graphics & signs.....I joined because I like it here biggrin.gif

Good luck with your new venture!

Sherri

#4 wintersedge

wintersedge

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Stained glass, fusing, martial arts, paintball, laser tag, woodworking, origami

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

You say that now Sherri, soon you will come over to the dark side. :drinks:
What if Truth was not compromised...
Winter's Edge

#5 Dennis Davis

Dennis Davis

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Welcome from Boise, Idaho.

Strongly suggest you go here http://www.sandcarver.org/ and do a lot of reading. Many of your questions will be answered by browsing Jim's site....and the view from the house isn't bad either.

You will come away with a better understanding of what some of those foreign terms you alluded to are, and then you can ask as many questions as you feel you need to. We're here to help, pitch in your own ideas and suggestions as you progress.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.

#6 TroyE

TroyE

Patron/2005/07/08 Contributor

• Patron/2008 Contributors
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:My girls, 1967 Pontiac GTO's, Woodworking, Sandcarving

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Sorry I can't help you much on equipment that wouldn't be considered skimping. I started low end (and am working up from there).

But, anyway.. welcome from North Dakota! smile.gif
Troy Erickson
Blasted Accents
West Fargo, ND

#7 Brian Pacholka

Brian Pacholka

Inactive Member

• inactive members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

I know I will get beat on for saying this, but I recommend that you go out and buy a $99 bench top siphon feed blaster. Mine served me well for the first year of blasting and I still use it today. It has some drawbacks, but it is an inexpensive way to get into the craft so you can see if you like it.
Breaking glass one grain of sand at a time.

CorelDraw X3
Photoshop 7
Photobrasive Ultrapro Blue Resist
Desay Master Plotter
Roland Stika Plotter
BP Graphics
Big Rapids, Michigan

#8 JJ

JJ

Patron/2005 Contributor

• PATRON
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Computers and Computer Networking, Sand Blast Etching,

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

Welcome from the Dark Side....er....the Boston, Massachusetts neighborhood.
J.J.

You can't tell but in my current avatar the camera is outside the blasting cabinet looking in through the glass.

#9 BarbaraPA

BarbaraPA

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

Welcome from PA!

In addition to the sites listed above, here's a link that started my interest in sandblasting... (the page I am linking is his recommendation for starter equipment)

Blasted Glass! Studio - Tony Smith

I found Tony's site through the Warm Glass BB (www.warmglass.com). Tony is a glass artist who combines fusing and sandblasting. His website is a good introduction to sandblasting without being too technical. Tony also wrote the Introduction to Sandcarving that is on the Sandcarver.org site. Tony's site includes a link to the Intro.

Dive in and have a Blast!
---------------------------------------------------------

*** Barb ***

Glass Fuser and Newbie Etcher/Carver

#10 Sherri S

Sherri S

advanced members II

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Watching Sprint & Nascar Racing, Pro Football, & Learning New Trades.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (wintersedge @ Aug 5 2005, 02:50 PM)
You say that now Sherri, soon you will come over to the dark side.  :drinks:

:hysterical:

#11 tocarver

tocarver

Moderator/2005 Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:One of the other interests is our dog breeding website, locksmith business and we are currently Ebay powersellers in another field.<br /><br />Love it all!

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

Welcome from another newbie, from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Great group here, think I posted to ya on yahoo, you'll find alot of answers here smile.gif
The harder we work the luckier we get...and the more we share the more we are given!

#12 Kalikiana

Kalikiana

Patron/2006 Contributor

• PATRON
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:Collecting tiki, finding deals at flea markets, playing the drumset, playing african drums, toy photography, taking sPoT! for a walk, screaming with my blue and gold macaw, and SANDBLASTING!

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

Welcome ctspencer!
I'm sort of a newbie here as well and I'm comfy and I like it here, and I think you will too. Lots of very artistic talent and know-how in this crowd...me excluded.
I purchased an SCM system in March and I love it. I went for the whole hog and she-bang and now I'm deep in debt. I purchased the big metal cabinet (not the pass-through) with 100 lb pressure pot, and all the bells and whistles, the smaller blaster systen (without the plastic cabinet), and the engraving system. I then purchased a 60 gal Husky compressor at home depot.
THe SCM system arrived in good time, in good shape. THe video collection is somewhat hard to sit through. I'd recommend other instruction videos, but if SCM gives 'em to you with the purchase, take 'em.
I would recommend looking at Photobrasive.com and Rayzist.com and other sites folks have suggested to see if you can score a better price on some of the same equipment. For example, SCM price on the letralight UV unit is more than twice of some places. SCM has treated me right, but I'd do some pick-and-choosing when shopping. Cheers, Kris
Kristian McIntyre
Creative Art and Soul
in charming Shepherdstown, WV
Webpage http://www.creativeartandsoul.com

I get to play with a SCM Jet Stream Two system w/ 100 lb pressure pot, 60 gal compressor...SCM Jet Stream One with 5 lb baby pot and itty bitty compressor...SCM System One engraver...fun to play with and easy to use!

#13 essmjay

essmjay

Moderator/2005 Contributor

• Admin Staff
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (Sherri S @ Aug 5 2005, 12:22 PM)
laugh.gif  Welcome from Ohio!
I don't have a clue about carving or blasting either...I have a cutter & do vinyl graphics & signs.....I joined because I like it here biggrin.gif

Well... we like you too Sherri. smile.gif

And welcome cts- do you have a name? Or can I just call you Spence?

Shane

Reflections Custom Etching

Olympia, WA

http://www.custometchers.com

email- reflections@custometchers.com

#14 Kalikiana

Kalikiana

Patron/2006 Contributor

• PATRON
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:Collecting tiki, finding deals at flea markets, playing the drumset, playing african drums, toy photography, taking sPoT! for a walk, screaming with my blue and gold macaw, and SANDBLASTING!

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

oops
Kristian McIntyre
Creative Art and Soul
in charming Shepherdstown, WV
Webpage http://www.creativeartandsoul.com

I get to play with a SCM Jet Stream Two system w/ 100 lb pressure pot, 60 gal compressor...SCM Jet Stream One with 5 lb baby pot and itty bitty compressor...SCM System One engraver...fun to play with and easy to use!

#15 jags

jags

Advanced Member/2005 Contributor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

I purchased a cabinet from Rayzist. (recent purchase- also a newbie). It is not a passthru or super large but big enough for me. I have only had a chance to use it 3 times so far and I do like it. I have seen the Photo brasive cabinets also and they were very nice too but Rayzist seemed to be more in my price range for now.
They were both at the NBM show in Columbus, Oh in June, so I was able to see lots.
Jeri
Jeri Jagielo fulltime 9-1-1 dispatcher and mother, full time chinchilla rancher, sandblaster, sublimator and has a vinyl cutter.
I need more than 24 hour days.
Houghton Lake, MI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users