4 replies to this topic

#1 glass dragon

glass dragon

advanced members II

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

hi folks, i need some help i would like to incorperate a small engraver (table top) to expand my business possibilities and i dont know didlley about those type of engravers. can someone reccommend to me who i could talk to? as usual price is a problem. I do not intend to do any large engravings just name plates for awards and things around that size and a little bigger. so if anyone could help out i would be appreciative. thanks and take care!!

#2 Takes MO

Takes MO

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

There are many machines that will do the basic plates you are wanting to do, but don't limit your sights. Do you think you will ever want to do gift items? If so, you will want a machine that has more clearance.

The major players are Gravograph (Formerly New Hermes), Xenetech, Vision, Signature. Roland makes a small engraver, but in my opinion it is more of a toy and not as robust as others. It can do the job, but.....

I'm not sure what your budget will allow, but the best bang for your buck on older engravers is likely an old New Hermes/Vanguard 3000 or 3400 model. These offer an engraving table of 8"x12". You will find many of them that have been upgraded with an EP Module, which allows them to be driven with more modern windows-based engraving software. These models can also be driven with a cartridge system, but that is a more archaic process and limited. These machines come up on eBay frequently and sell for $2,500-$3,500.

I have bought and resold some New Hermes IS400 machines. This is an excellent machine, which is considerably faster than the 3000 and 3400 models. I use the IS400 and IS400 Volume machines in my business, so I am a bit partial. The base model IS400 can be found used in the $5,000-$7,000 range, but not as frequently available.

Another good basic machine is the Xenetech 1625. Although it doesn't use the Newest Viper technology, it is a very capable machine for what you want to do. These come up on eBay every once in a while.

I hope this helps.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved, Inc.
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.expressionsengraved.com

#3 glass dragon

glass dragon

advanced members II

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:01 AM

thanks i appreciat the info. i just wish i could do somehting with it. i cant afford anything like that. maybe i will get lucky and my tax returns will be bigger than i am expecting. read.gif

#4 Bob

Bob

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:A wish and a prayer with a new Mac<br />Second Cabinet under construction...

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Here is a link for USED Engravers. I have no idea what thet are like.

Used

Bob...
NEW CABINET DESIGN ON THE DRAWING BOARD

A faithful friend is the medicine of life"

My Webpage

#5 Takes MO

Takes MO

Patron

• PATRON
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

It looks like our politicians with their great wisdom will be getting you a bit closer to being able to get that mechanical engraver you are wanting.

You may want to take a step back and look into a pantograph, which uses brass letters in which you trace with a stylus. Soe of these machines are very versitile and will allow you to do large cylindrical items as well. Keep your eyes open for a New Hermes GTX or GTX Super. These will still be $1,000+, but will get you the plates you want. You will find that the brass plates for these machines are a hot commodity.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved, Inc.
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.expressionsengraved.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users